Latest in space exploration by Sky Headlines logo
Hubble Telescope

Hubble Space Telescope Captured Cosmic Treasure Trove

Introduction: Hubble Telescope Recent Capture

Hubble telescope recently captured an image of a host of astronomical objects scattering in the universe. Galaxies ranging from stately spirals to fuzzy ellipticals scatter across the telescope image. While a smattering of bright foreground stars is closer to home.

UGC 7983: A Sketchy Dwarf Galaxy in Virgo

The small galaxy UGC 7983 sketchy shape appears as a hazy cloud of light visible in the middle of the image. In the constellation Virgo, around 30 million light-years from Earth, the small dwarf irregular galaxy UGC 7983 is located. Moreover, some researchers say that it is identical to the very earliest galaxies in the universe.

Asteroid Photobomb: Solar System Interloper

A relatively nearby astronomical interloper is also visible in the picture. Across the upper left-hand side of the image a minor asteroid in our solar system streaks. Split by small gaps the asteroid’s trail is visible as four streaks of light. The four different exposures that were merged to make up this image are represented by these light streaks. Filter modifications inside the Hubble Telescope Advanced Camera for Surveys between exposures can be seen in the tiny gaps between each observation.

Insights from Hubble Telescope Advanced Camera for Surveys

To observe every known galaxy close to the Milky Way capturing an asteroid was a fortunate side effect of a larger effort. However, Of all the Milky Way’s near galactic neighbors, Hubble telescope had imaged roughly 75%. A group of astronomers suggested using the gaps between longer Hubble telescope observations to capture images of the remaining 25%. To fill gaps in the Hubble telescope observing schedule and in our knowledge of nearby galaxies, the project was an elegant and efficient way.


In summary, the recent Hubble telescope image showcases a celestial tapestry featuring the sketchy dwarf galaxy UGC 7983 in Virgo, resembling the earliest galaxies, and an unexpected photobombing by a minor asteroid from our solar system. The Hubble’s telescope Advanced Camera for Surveys, originally designed for galactic surveys, serendipitously captured the asteroid while filling gaps in its observing schedule. This efficient approach underscores the telescope’s adaptability and astronomers’ resourcefulness. Overall, the image provides a captivating glimpse into cosmic wonders, blending the distant and nearby, contributing to a richer understanding of our vast universe.

Related Articles